Saturday, May 3, 2008

So here I sit... Iowa blog part 1


It's all over and now, my house has the most family it has ever had under one roof. It's been so terribly sad yet a wonderful blessing all at the same time. This Earth is without one of the most precious souls now. Truly, an angel. She was always helping everyone. One of the few women who have shaped who I am today. The trip was bittersweet. I saw many many family members that I probably haven't seen since I was a baby. I saw my cousins and my aunt and uncle and things just seemed to fit back into place as to where we used to be. We were bonded over one simple fact, we loved this woman like crazy. I will never forget her voice. Always telling me she could "squeeze me to pieces" or that she was "tickled pink to see me." I left with several monetary symbols of her and every piece has a story. The wedding ring she wore for the past 20 years faithfully after my Grandpa, the love of her life ... "her Arnold..." had passed on and the mother's ring. The wedding ring is actually both my grandpa's and my grandma's put together into one ring. I love it. It's so very special and when I wear it, I feel her with me. Some pearls, a recipe box she used in Home Ec class in 1932. The smell of aged paper upon it. A few crystal serving bowls, an old apron and the small crystal angel music box that my mother sent her in her last days to bring comfort. I will miss her but she is definitely with me.

No comments: